Saturday, August 18, 2012

Adidas Rock Stars Write Up (Full Version)



Day 1
Today began the qualification round of the Adidas Rock Stars bouldering competition that is being held inside the Porsche Arena, Stuttgart, Germany. I could not have asked for a better start to the competition, placing 12th with 3 out of 4 tops at the end of the round earning me a spot into the next round. I came soooo close to sending that last boulder, eyeing the last hold for way too long before I eventually gassed out. The boulders were all very unique and well set for a qualification round. The biggest change that I noticed about these climbs versus American style boulders is that they pack the whole climb into about 4-6 moves.

To train for this competition, I took a rather different approach. I felt as if I was having a hard time progressing with just climbing for training as I was lacking that explosive power needed. So I decided to hit the work out gym for some heavy lifting. I have experimented with some light lifting before with positive results but just never really stuck with it. So far the results have been amazing as I felt the strongest that I have ever felt today in a long time for qualifiers, despite the fact that I have not touched a climbing hold in about 15 days lol. Even though I have added on some muscle mass, I feel even lighter as my body is that much stronger. If you lack that explosive power, I would suggest that you try lifting out alongside climbing.

Day 2
After another exciting day of competing at the Adidas Rock Stars event, I ended up placing 18th overall out of 34 from a very strong list of competitors. The climbs were once again spectacular. Chris Danielson and all the setters did a great job of setting some unique and challenging climbs. We were allowed to see the boulders before we went into isolation, unlike most bouldering events where you are not allowed to see the climbs until you are called out. It was nice to be able to see what type of boulders faced you so that in the isolation I could tailor my warm up to certain moves I knew would be out there.
I am very happy with my performance at the event, despite the fact that I know I could have performed better in the semifinals. Round three of the four climbs were well within my ability. Warming up has always been a challenge for me, as sometimes I nail it and others I warm up too little or too much. This plays a huge role in my performance. In the qualifiers I warmed up perfectly and was able to climb my absolute best, where as for semifinals I did not and ended up getting flashed pumped on the first problem. I still fought through the pump till the end but it did add another challenge. Competition climbing really for me all comes down to the warm up. Time to go back to the drawing board to see if I can't get a general warm up plan for the next event.

Adidas out did themselves at this event by doing an amazing job of promoting the athletes and making us feel like professionals, unlike most events where the climbers have to foot all the expenses, all we had to do was just get to the event and Adidas made sure that we didn’t have to spend another dime.  If I could only go to one event a year I would without a doubt pick this one!  Adidas knows how to throw a competition and I am very thankful that I was able to be a part of it through everyone’s support. 


After I finished up climbing my qualifier routes I was given the chance the sign some posters for a large group of kids that had been at the event that day.  Naturally I jumped on the chance as I really enjoy doing things like this for the youth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment