Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Canadian Bouldering Nationals (Tour De Bloc 2012)


Canadian Nationals
            For the second year in a row I was able to head on up to Canada to compete within the Canadian Nationals, this year held in Montreal.  Yet again the Tour De Bloc crew did an amazing job of putting together a great competition. 
Qualifiers
           The qualifying round began April 15th very early in the morning compared to most comps in the US.  It took a little while for my body to get used to the early morning climb as I had just arrived just a little before midnight, from Denver, the night before.  Thankfully, I had some time to relax within the isolation area before I climbed as I did not climb till later on in the evening.  The Qualifying round consisted of 5 problems with 5 minutes rest in between.  I enjoy competing within competitions outside of the US to experience all the different types of setting; I feel this helps myself as a climber improve.  At the end of qualifiers Sean Mcoll and I were both tied for first, who like myself had flashed all 5 of the problems. 


Qualifier #2 - Photo: France Lavoie

Qualifier #4 Photo: France Lavoie

Qualifier #5 Photo: France Lavoie


Finals
            Finals were held the next day later in the evening, which allowed us to get some much-needed sleep.  Again we had 5 problems for finals with 5 minutes rest.  I ended up sending all of the climbs earning me 2nd place for the comp however, some slips on the second climb which consisted of all volumes ended up costing me the win with Sean Mcoll who had a very impressive day with a flash of all the climbs. 

Getting ready for Finals #3 Photo: France Lavoie

Finals #3 Photo: France Lavoie
  
Finals #5 Photo: France Lavoie

Finals #5 Photo: Carmen Ing


Photo: France Lavoie

            The Tour De, Bloc really knows how to put together a competition, I really hope to be able to go back next year and compete within their Nationals again. 

Thanks to everyone who came out and watched, and to all of my Sponsors:  Rock Candy Holds, Power Bar, Jan Sport, Organic and Five Ten. 

Check out the highlight videos from “G6 Climbing” form both Qualifiers and Finals
Qualifiers Video

Finals Video

-ADJ

2 comments:

  1. I've never see the red tape around a hold before. What does that mean at the comp? Haha John Bowles's face made me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i need to check my blog email more often, sorry to keep you waiting lol
      but to answer your question. They use the red tape in "World Cup Scoring" format as opposed to every hold being worth a point and your final score being on how many holds you are able to grab. Every boulder is worth 2 points essentially. 1 point for using the hold/touching the hold marked with the red tape and then 2 points for reaching the top. I believe the order on which placing is based goes: tops, then attempts to top, then bonus holds, and attempts to bonus hold if memory serves me right.

      Delete